3% MiniCon: The Rising Power of Brand Purpose
June 6, 2019 • Washington, DC
Thursday, June 6 | 8:15am–6:30pm | George Washington University
Remember when advertising just sold stuff?
Stuck to features and benefits?
Never got political?
THOSE DAYS ARE OVER.
Today, consumers want to know who they’re buying from, not just what they’re buying. They care what causes brands support, how they pay their people, who’s on their board and in their supply chain, and how big their carbon footprint is.
And consumers can smell the difference between authentic brand citizenship and purpose washing.
In an age of unprecedented transparency and real-time consumer feedback, brands face both an opportunity and a risk. In this new landscape, who will win? And what can ad and PR partners do to ensure their clients’ brand messages land and inspire?
Join 3% -- the leader in rethinking creative workplaces – for a day of inspiration, information, and illumination. We’ll feature a mixture of main stage keynotes and panel discussions, plus afternoon breakout sessions, where we’ll tackle important questions like:
- Super Bowl Sunday: how real-time analysis of tweets shows how purpose-driven messaging differs from straight brand messaging.
- When brands lead social conversations, how does that impact awareness of key issues and customer advocacy?
- How can media placement be politicized by consumers to pressure brands away from certain sites or programming?
- How diverse teams are better equipped to drive purpose-driven campaigns.
The 3% team, speakers and some event guests will stay at the Eaton Hotel. Our group discount has expired but rooms are still available. We hope you’ll choose to stay at this location too! See you in Washington DC!
BRING YOURSELF. TAKE SOME NOTES.
It used to be that a brand might align with a non-profit to show support. Today, brands are taking this one step further and developing entire campaign strategies around issues ranging from the environment to gun control to civil rights. How do these decisions get made and how are consumers discerning between true alignment and "purpose wash"?
- MOD Michelle Douglas, Canopy Growth and their Director, Global Marketing, CBD
- Christine Gignac, Creative Director, Wieden + Kennedy
- Randall Smith, Brand Director, The Procter & Gamble Company
Or -- how are we ever going to get anywhere if the data isn’t honest and we’re not honest about the data?
If imbuing brands and organizations with a strong, hardwired purpose is a critical endgame for marketers, then data is the way it all begins. But could the data we once called “big” be characterized with another “b-word?” Biased? Heimann will touch on areas in data collection, deployment and analysis where gender – racial, ethnic and economic – biases may hinder our ability to find and extract the real, meaningful insights that are core to purpose – in brands and in society. She’ll explore some of the inherent and potential problems and ask us to engage – personally and collectively – in the solutions.
- Gail Heimann, President , Weber Shandwick
Men and women from the worlds of advertising, marketing, PR, tech, nonprofits, and more.
Thank you to these generous partners for bringing 3% to the nation's Capital.