Posted on March 23, 2018
VML is looking for an Executive Creative Director
VML is all about putting everything you are into everything you do. We're a full-service advertising agency that thrives on moving brands forward by inspiring a human connection.
An Executive Creative Director is a dynamic agency leader who drives a creative vision across multiple teams to create and produce award-winning solutions for clients. ECDs lead portfolios of client business, build and lead multidisciplinary teams, and routinely interact with key senior clients and stakeholders.
An ECD is a senior leader in the agency, responsible for elevating the work developed by their teams. The ECD should always back their team.
- Attract, develop and retain top creative talent
- Inspire all levels of creative leadership
- Partner with strategy lead to develop unified creative briefs
- Provide high-level concept guidance to optimize creative work produced by their teams
- Promote and facilitate a culture of collaboration between agency and clients
- Foster ongoing improvements in creative processes and methodologies
- Ensure creative objectives and approaches align with both agency and client goals
- Lead creative for new business as well as pitch new business
- Inspire and motivate the team creatively — make it about them, never about yourself
- Motivate reluctant clients to embrace better work than requested
- Determine staffing plan and overall reporting structure for the team
- Conduct ongoing performance reviews of the team and provide team members with opportunities to grow and thrive creatively
- Lead pro bono projects
As part of the WPP Group, VML offers one of the best overall compensation packages in the business. VML is headquartered in Kansas City.
Required Skills & Experience
An ECD has a lot of responsibility, garnered by many years of experience preparing for this role. Creating new value for businesses and customers requires mastery of many fields and the knowledge to deliver results.
- 15+ years of experience in advertising or marketing
- Extensive team leadership experience
- Strong ability to grow client relationships
- Expert design or writing skills and experience
- Advanced presentation/pitching new business experience
- Advanced communication and collaboration skills
- Advanced understanding of marketing, advertising and technology
- Ideally, an ECD has a bachelor’s in design, advertising, journalism or a related field, and/or attended portfolio school
VML is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.