Posted on January 9, 2019
VCU Brandcenter is looking for an Art Direction Professor
Mission or Goal of Unit
As part of the VCU School of Business, the Brandcenter serves as a dynamic hub for advertising and marketing education, fueled by creativity that prepares students to lead in a complex world.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The Professor for Art Direction will offer students a solid grounding in graphic design, helping to nurture the ability to create, conceptualize, and visualize that is crucial to students’ professional development. Suitable candidates should have the ability to explain how they envisage the future of graphic design education for the production of visually sophisticated creative professionals who are good craftspeople, able to employ such skills as photography and typography in their practice. The selected candidate will be patient, empathetic, and be able to offer a level of motivation that will encourage students to aspire to the very best standards. The chosen candidate will have advanced level graphic design skills and be able to visualize his or her ideas.
Ideally, the candidate should have worked professionally with design consultancies, content agencies, or advertising agencies. Their experience should have encompassed working on creative strategies, concept development, and putting creative plans into practice. It is vital that the candidate can inspire and motivate students; high level abilities in terms of critical and creative thinking is a prerequisite. Candidates must be able to work productively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, whether they be students, staff, of faculty.
Employing an in-depth knowledge of the current state of the industry, technical expertise, and design skill, the Professor for Art Direction must assist students seeking our their creative “sweet spot” through experimentation with the identical tools and design technology that they will encounter in their subsequent employment, and so make them ready for success in creative employment. One essential will be assigning students to build strong portfolios by encouraging creativity, a strong work ethic, and organization. The candidate should have thorough knowledge of the ways in which technology, platforms, design, and delivery systems interact in the modern world of design in the graphic and communication fields. Candidates should have worked professionally as either art director or graphic designer (preferably at several levels), and also have the capability to have significant input into cross-disciplinary endeavors.
- Teach 2-3 courses per semester.
- Keeping up-to-date with all developments in creative thought and standards for the industry
- Attending all faculty meetings.
- Serving on departmental committees.
- An exemplary record of achievement working in advertising or creative agencies for eight years.
- Experience in many areas of advertising, preferably including presentation, creative execution, creative strategy, and concept development.
- Must possess a degree (or equivalent) in graphic design (or similar area), or have undertaken training/ have experience of work to a degree that matches an advanced qualification.
- Must be able to work with Adobe Creative Suite
- Must show the ability to work across all media and platforms.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
- Experience working with AR/VR, coding, digital implementation, interactive design, and UX/UI.
- Experience teaching at a college level
- A record of work that has gained national awards.
- Experience in leadership roles, particularly those who have been employed in a nationwide agency as Creative Director.
- A Masters Degree in an advertising industry-related subject.
- Production experience with Cinema 4D.