Posted on May 21, 2018
REI is looking for a Creative Director - Copy
What's cool about this job
The REI Co-op is looking for an amazing creative director to help us achieve our mission of bringing the goodness of the outdoors to all people. If you’d like to join the team of talented, hard-working but down-to-earth people that are tackling this rather upbeat problem, we’d love to hear from you. The creative director will help us achieve this goal through brilliant, break-through creative ideas and expressions that connect people to the outdoors.
The most successful candidates will have a clear understanding of what it takes to develop strong creative ideas and concepts, successfully lead teams, and how to set and realize a vision. They’ll also know how to get things done in a way that keeps the concept sharp, and will have a track record of developing ideas that are as revolutionary as they are based in strong strategy. They will also be decent humans who recognize, appreciate and help to develop the talents in the people that they work with. Because at the co-op, how we do we do what we do is as important as what we do.
- Leads the creative vision and team for a specific segment of the business;
- Collaborates with other creative directors, as well as with leaders across the business to ensure effective expression and understanding of both brand and customer engagement strategies;
- Represents the creative and marketing division and its business requirements with cross divisional partners;
- Helps set the tone for the creative community at the co-op;
- Ensures consistent execution of brand strategy and positioning across all expressions;
- Builds relationships and manages outside agencies to ensure work supports REI brand standards and achieves goals.
- Stays current with the competitive landscape, emerging trends, customer behavior.
- Generates new ideas and innovation for: creative execution, customer experience, marketing strategy, work process and execution.
- Fosters a culture of creativity, excellence, accountability and results. Collaborates with retail, eCommerce, merchandising and internal product teams to execute creative strategies.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 10+ years of creative design or copy, concept-development and creative team leadership;
- Fluency and understanding of modern communication modes, including social media, direct, digital, film and video, virtual reality, and whatever is the new next;
- Adobe creative suite, sketch, emerging design technology;
- Significant leadership experience, and comfort influencing at a senior leadership level;
- Cultural fluency with trend awareness, design drivers and overall social themes.
- Awareness and understanding of outdoor culture.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Why you'll love it here
The REI Co-op is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 17 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. Since its founding in 1938, REI has worked to awaken a lifelong love for the outdoors, for all, through sustainable growth and reinvestment into the communities it serves. In 2017, nearly 70 percent of its profits went right back to the outdoor community, supporting employee retirement, helping fund trail work, returning dividends to its members and supporting nonprofits that get people into the outdoors.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer