Multiple locations available - Work remotely
Posted on October 6, 2021
History Factory is looking for a Director of Design
At History Factory, you won’t find big machines cranking out widgets and gadgets. Instead, you’ll discover smart, fascinating people building creative ideas and doing interesting and unusual work—collecting, organizing, archiving and then amplifying materials found deep within a company’s history. Together, we design creative ways to interpret the gems of authentic content we find in a company’s past to help it chart its future.
We’re a quirky collection of artists, writers, designers, historians, curators, researchers and planners, all drawn by the opportunity to use the power of history to shape the future. Don’t have a history background? That’s OK. It’s more important to us that you demonstrate an inquisitive mind, a collaborative spirit, infectious enthusiasm and a strong desire to help our clients write the next chapter in their history.
We’re looking for our company’s next design leader. Every piece of design work we produce will point to your leadership, whether it’s a museum-quality exhibit, an interactive digital experience, a corporate history book, an archival assessment report or an everyday piece of marketing collateral.
That means you need to be the type of leader who can manage and inspire our design team—equip them to do their best work, develop their talent and have a vision for what we need to deliver amazing work every day.
You can easily toggle between the big picture and the nuts and bolts, and you aren’t afraid to dig in and get your hands dirty, whether behind the scenes or in the room with a client.
You have an appreciation and passion for the craft of making things. You’re as much a doer as you are an inspiring leader, and you have the portfolio to prove it.
You’re both a conceptual and strategic thinker, equally comfortable making business decisions or creative judgment calls.
Here’s an overview of the things you’ll get to do in your first year in this role:
- People | Manage and mentor History Factory’s talented design team. Oversee the day-to-day work of mid- and senior-level designers, and equip them to develop as thinkers, leaders, and inventors.
- Process | Own the design process from start to finish. Figure out what works and what doesn’t, and fix what doesn’t. Clear the path forward for your team to do the best work possible. Anticipate team and client needs and project risks; participate in solving problems. Take full responsibility for the design output of the agency.
- Collaboration | Cultivate trusting relationships with clients, partners and other internal project leads (account, curatorial, creative, archives, etc.). Work with other functional leads to help define the future direction of the company. Champion a team mentality and a culture that embraces diversity, inclusion, personal growth, winning and fun.
- Creative | Identify and nurture the best ideas that are uniquely History Factory. Oversee the translation of each client’s design vision, generating work that is creatively brilliant, measurable and culturally impactful.
- Thought leadership | Take an active role in building History Factory’s reputation as an expert on all things related to corporate/brand heritage. Monitor trends at the intersection of history, graphic design and marketing communications, helping shape the company’s overall philosophy and approach to our work.
You might not have quite the background we expect. In fact, we welcome that. We’ll want to see a portfolio of creative work with an environmental branding, exhibit and/or museum design emphasis.
In addition, the right person for this role will have some mix of visual design training and experience that includes expert-level knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud—especially InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and XD—plus AR/VR experience, understanding or experience managing CAD and 3D modeling, and solid footing in digital and print production processes. Brand management and work in corporate identity and campaigns are a plus.
Experience in leading, managing and developing a team or designers and freelancers.
The Next Step
If it sounds like you’re a good fit for this role, we’d love to see your resume and portfolio. Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email only, please no phone calls.
Pay: From $130,000 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Experience: Exhibit 5 years (Required)
Work Location: Multiple locations available
Work Remotely: Yes