Posted on December 16, 2019
Fine is looking for a Creative Director
Be a Maker of Big Happen.
At FINE, we are committed to our core values and we strive to live them every day.
People here are the real deal. You bring genuine intentions, unite by your actions, stay humble in your greatness, open with your quirks, and honest in your flaws.
You’re at the top of your craft and game. Whatever your skill and role, you’re a highly engaged, positive solutioneer. A leader, a do-er, and an always improver.
MAKE BIG HAPPEN
You approach your work believing it has the power to impact our company, our clients, even our world. All that you do is strategically motivated, and aims for a world-class outcome.
Our values manifest themselves in a small group of dynamic, creative learners who are passionate about producing inspired and effective work, who seek to improve every day, and who understand that life is too short to not enjoy yourself along the way.
Our promise to clients is to help them evolve their brand and business to become their best selves, and deepen their relationships with customers. For the “A player” (that rare and talented top 10%) looking for something special, this position is the opportunity for you.
- Do you see brand and creative as a powerful business driver?
- Do you believe the best work is done in small groups of passionate experts?
- Do you love design that is simple, beautiful, and intuitive?
- Do you have a high level of attention to detail?
- Do you have a passion for serving others?
- Are you looking for a place to learn and challenge yourself every day?
- Are you able to maintain calm in times of stress?
- Do you focus on priorities to achieve set goals?
- Do you value the people you work with as much as the work itself?
- Do you look at work as a career rather than just a job?
- Are you inspired by the opportunity to address and solve interesting problems?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, we want to meet you!
FINE is a brand agency. A design-minded, human-centric, hyper-engaged, digital-savvy, awesome-inducing, brand-believing, definition-defying, hyphen-dependent, un-agency-like brand agency.
Since 1994, we’ve earned 100’s of awards and worked with countless clients to do much more than an ad or two - we help define businesses using brand as our lens. Our work and our people have been featured in Communication Arts, Graphis, HOW, Fast Co., Adweek, CMO.com, AdAge, and many others. We’re most proud to have helped friends across industries, and all company sizes and shapes:
- Pioneering hospitality from Kimpton Hotels to The Coppola Companies to Bode, historic properties like Hotel del Coronado, and global players like IHG and Viceroy
- The many brands of Ste Michelle Wine Estates, pioneers like Mondavi, Silver Oak, Jordan and Cakebread, global leaders like Pernod Ricard, boutique wineries like Darioush, and America’s first craft beers at Anchor Brewing
- The consumer tech revolutions of Symantec, Norton, Cisco, and Apple
- Leaders in private equity, venture capital investing in the next big things
- Placemakers like Carmel Partners, Pebblebrook, JP Allen, to concepts transforming culinary like Makr, or later life like UK’s Guild Living
- Innovators changing the world through tech like Lime and Mojo or with missions to save the world, like BrightEdge and The American Cancer Society
FINE Seeks Creative Director To Make Big Happen Yet Remain Humble There’s nothing more inspiring than looking for a Creative Director. Because we’re looking for the type of person who wants to inspire. We call what we do “Brand-Led Business Building.” Meaning, everything we do is designed to help businesses shine by being human, being awesome, and making big happen. And we call what we are “An Un-Agency Like Agency.” Meaning, we’re not so much cocky cool kids as humble, warm grown-ups.
Things You’ll Do
You’ll direct creative. It’s both simple, yet the most difficult and rewarding thing ever:
HEAR AND GUIDE CLIENTS
Listen to what they say, and understand what they didn’t know how to say but really need. Enchant them with stories of what their company is and what their brand could be. UNDERSTAND WORLD Apply your intuitive and analytical insight into what visually, verbally, and experientially resonates with real people, and works in actual marketplaces.
INSPIRE AND LEAD COLLEAGUES
Creative here is a team sport - you’ll facilitate the whole creative team (designers, copywriting, strategy, development, etc.) through the full creative process, overseeing execution and engagement toward demonstrated creative badassery.
MAKE BIG HAPPEN
It all adds up to big impact. On an industry, a perspective, a client’s business. And on the growth and satisfaction of your creative self, and the creatives you’ll work alongside.
Traits and Experience
- 5+ years directing design and creative deliverables of the very strongest sauce, particularly with “owned” digital brand assets like big ol’ websites
- Think from a brand-led perspective and work across many mediums of brand expressions including core owned digital experiences. Proven significant hands-on digital-focused design background with demonstrated understanding of UX as well as digital brand and content strategy
- Demonstrated experience with our disciplines: Digital, Brand, Strategy, Content
- Engaging storytelling skills and a knack for presenting our work in an way to show its impact internally and to our clients
- An ear for listening and consulting with clients to identify and define high-level business issues that will drive the work we do to a focused solution
- A well-honed ability to identify the distinctions in concepts to ensure we’re pursuing on-point solutions
- Demonstrated knack for helping companies and people be their best selves and do their best work and then also be the best
- Able to inspire others to consistently raise the bar and improve the work we do
- A leader-doer who provides clear, specific, constructive feedback focusing on fostering continual growth, improvement, and understanding of how the market impacts creative craft
- Able to save the day, but tries not to
- Many rich stories, many mostly true, about how what you did led a project direction which in turn led a business direction
- Conflicted in all the right ways. Nice people yet fierce ideas. Kind-hearted badassery. Humble awesomeness. Little details make big happen
We’re whole human beings here at FINE, and we’ve designed our benefits offerings to support our team in a whole range of human things. Things like:
- A selection of robust health plans (medical, dental, and vision) to choose from, with option for 100% employer-paid coverage
- Vacation, sick time, company paid holidays, and our annual holiday close
- A 401(k) plan combined with a discretionary company contribution, driven by company performance
- Professional development funds to keep you growing
- Flexible spending accounts for dependent care as well as dental and vision expenses
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible and remote working opportunities
- Friendly atmosphere and culture
- Competitive compensation package
- Outstanding working environment (and lots of snacks!)
- Working with other “A players” driven to create great client results
“I love the opportunity to be involved in the full evolution of a brand - from the typography to the table settings. Working from the other side of the world is a breeze when internal communications are so dialed in, and our project managers are the smoothest of operators.“ -Yasmin Stewart, Designer
“FINE offers the perfect balance of a humanity-first approach to business and envelope-pushing aspirations. It’s the harmony between the two that’s continually impressed me and inspired me to want to give back not just through my work ethic, but in my desire to help see the business thrive. Leadership consistently exemplifies a deep consideration and care for the team, especially in their rallying for self-advocacy and continued personal growth – which can certainly be advertised by any agency, but to actually follow through requires a real level of trust and commitment.“ -Mehran Azma, Design Director
Our Hiring Process
Our business may be small, but we think hiring’s a big deal. So we take a very thorough approach to finding the right fit for both our company, and for each human who comes to work here. Our process includes several interviews, an analysis of your career history, and in-depth reference checks. We respect your time and appreciate your participation in our mutual goal to help you find the ideal position for your skills and strengths.
How to Apply
If you feel you are up for our challenging and rigorous hiring process, and feel you can contribute to a dynamic, growing company, please go to the link below and click Apply Now to submit your resume and portfolio. Write us a little note that points us at the projects you think had the most impact and include links to those projects. Phone calls and emails are not accepted.