New York, NY, COVID-19 Remote
Posted on August 2, 2022
Barbarian is looking for a Senior Designer
As a member of the Barbarian Creative department you will influence changes in consumer behavior through ideas, creativity and the use of interactive media. You will make a difference to digital communications, marketing, advertising and inspire the best global brands.
Senior Designer is a rare breed of creative who has a relentless desire to originate and craft digital design to an industry leading standard. Predominantly design-led role focused on the craft. You will provide design visuals for the brands you work on, understanding a brand’s visual aesthetic and design compelling, on-brand visuals. Working with Copywriters, you will create innovative concepts. You will provide support to the Creative Director and ECD by ensuring the quality of work produced by more junior members of the team is of high standards.
Contributing to Barbarian’s Creative values: Innovation, Service, Craft and Thought; you will be excited about being part of our success. You will thrive when faced with new challenges and will constantly strive to improve the way things are done for our clients.
Benefits of Working at Barbarian:
At Barbarian, we consider our people to be our greatest asset. We have benefits and policies in place to create an inclusive and inspiring environment.
- Unlimited PTO
- Mental health support
- Comprehensive medical benefits
- Competitive Parental Leave that gives you time to bond with your family.
- Flexible work set-up, remote and hybrid working is available and encouraged.
- $250 stipend to outfit your remote working space.
- 401k matching, 50% up to the first 3%
- 3% Certification, which means we promote and pay everyone equally
- $5,000 employee referral bonus through Q1 2022
- Financial incentive for new business introductions
What You Do:
- Deliver and inspire award-winning work from both yourself and others who work with you, influencing where appropriate a dramatic change through ideas, creativity and the use of interactive media.
- Consistently deliver high quality work on time.
- High level internal and external client satisfaction.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Learn new skills and stay abreast of technical and digital design developments and successfully apply these to work practices.
- Participates in a number of pitches working with the Art Director.
Key technical competencies:
- Creative briefs
- Listens to and responds to a brief, understanding where/if there are gaps. Knows what questions to ask during the briefing session in order to act upon it; understands how to respond to a brief.
- Idea generation
- Leads by example to inspire creative colleagues to originate pioneering ideas that conceptualize world-class solutions. Plays an active role in brainstorming or idea generation and communicates ideas and thoughts clearly.
- Creative craft skills
- Establishes art direction, style and tone of communication. Proposes/delivers world-class executions of innovative interface design and interaction design experiences across all digital platforms.
- Supplier management skills
- Responsible for asset management, collation and archiving. Always applies archiving principles and ensures others in the team follow due process.
- New business development
- Contributes to design and creation of assets for pitches working closely with CD/ ECD
- Displays an enthusiasm for creating pioneering ideas and is excited by the challenge of moving in new (and potentially more difficult) creative directions. Able to understand the value of analyzing what has worked in the past and applying these learnings to future thinking.
- Able to balance specific client demands with project realities and can reliably close the loop on all open issues in a timely manner. Has a strong sense of personal responsibility for their work and that of their teammates and will proactively provide assistance (no matter the situation) to ensure delivery of highest quality work within required timeframes.
- Possesses a strong bias to action and is able to consistently deliver high quality work within required timeframes. Goes the extra mile to ensure deliverables meet the highest standards and strives for creative perfection. Is positive, upbeat and committed to their working life and makes a positive contribution to team morale.
- Has the ability to think issues through before acting and knows when to escalate. Possesses strong listening skills and asks open-ended questions to ensure full understanding. Able to present information effectively via multiple channels and is at ease presenting ideas or solutions in team meetings or the occasional larger group setting.
What You Need...
- Proven experience in designing (online or offline) including ad campaigns, social media campaigns / emails, online campaigns, microsites, websites and mobile experiences.
- Experience using the most common software: Adobe Photoshop, Word, Keynote, sketch, Figma and other relevant software.
- A degree in Design, Advertising Communication or other design/writing-related courses preferred by not required.
- Experience working in a creative/agency environment is a must.
Barbarian is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We strongly support diversity in the workforce.