New York, NY, COVID-19 Remote
Posted on August 2, 2022
Barbarian is looking for a Senior Art Director
As a member of the Barbarian Creative department you will influence changes in consumer behavior through ideas, creativity and the use of interactive media. You will make a difference to digital communications, marketing, advertising and inspire the best global brands.
As Senior Art director you will have an obsessive passion for design and world-class ideas. You will provide leadership for the brands you work on, understand a brand’s look and feel to establish art direction, style and tone of communication. Working with Copywriters you will create innovative concepts and push the idea through to art. You will play an active role in brainstorming, idea generation to deliver world-class executions of innovative campaign art, interface design and interaction design experiences across all digital platforms. You will provide support to the Creative Director and ECD by ensuring the quality of work produced by more junior members of the team is of high standards.
Contributing to Barbarian’s Creative values: Innovation, Service, Craft and Thought; you will be excited about being part of our success. You will thrive when faced with new challenges and will constantly strive to improve the way things are done for our clients.
Benefits of Working at Barbarian:
At Barbarian, we consider our people to be our greatest asset. We have benefits and policies in place to create an inclusive and inspiring environment.
- Unlimited PTO
- Mental health support
- Comprehensive medical benefits
- Competitive Parental Leave that gives you time to bond with your family.
- Flexible work set-up, remote and hybrid working is available and encouraged.
- $250 stipend to outfit your remote working space.
- 401k matching, 50% up to the first 3%
- 3% Certification, which means we promote and pay everyone equally
- $5,000 employee referral bonus through Q1 2022
- Financial incentive for new business introductions
What You Do:
- Deliver and inspire award-winning work from both yourself and others who work with you, influencing where appropriate a dramatic change through ideas, creativity and the use of interactive media.
- Consistently deliver a number of successful solutions and high-quality work to clients on time.
- High level internal and external client satisfaction.
- High level of team satisfaction.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Learn new skills and stay abreast of technical and digital design developments
- Apply these new skills to work practices to help improve processes and procedures.
- Participate in a number of pitches working with ACD’s and ECD.
Key technical competencies:
- Creative Briefs
- Listens to and responds to a brief, understanding where/if there are gaps. Knows what questions to ask during the briefing session in order to act upon it, understands how to respond to a brief.
- Idea generation
- Leads by example to inspire creative colleagues to originate pioneering ideas that conceptualise world- class solutions. Plays an active role in brainstorming or idea generation and communicates ideas and thoughts clearly.
- Creative craft skills
- Establishes art direction, style and tone of communication. Proposes/delivers world-class executions of innovative interface design and interaction design experiences across all digital platforms.
- Supplier management skills
- Provides assets to relevant disciplines to implement designs. Provides visual QA comments to, and carries out consultation with, Client Services, Technology and project management teams throughout the project.
- Creating award entries and case studies
- Responsible for creation of award entries and case studies of key projects, ensuring they are distributed across the business to relevant people (e.g. client team, Creative Directors, and Business Development teams).
- Scriptwriting and storyboarding
- Able to work with copywriters to produce clear storyboards that communicate an idea. Collaborate on scripts for film, animation or moving image content or concepts, Able to work with copywriters to craft voiceover scripts that are fluid, natural. Able to attend casting briefs and input into the casting of voiceover or film talent. Able to attend recording sessions and guide voiceover talent on style. Able to create moodboards and film references for treatments direct shoots.
- New business development
- Contributes to ideas and creative work for new business pitches and creative workshops. As well as creating visuals and comps for any presentation documents.
Barbarian Creative Competencies
- Displays an enthusiasm for creating pioneering ideas and is excited by the challenge of moving in new (and potentially more difficult) creative directions. Able to understand the value of analyzing what has worked in the past and applying these learnings to future thinking.
- Able to balance specific client demands with project realities and can reliably close the loop on all open issues in a timely manner. Has a strong sense of personal responsibility for their work and that of their teammates and will proactively provide assistance (no matter the situation) to ensure delivery of highest quality work within required timeframes.
- Possesses a strong bias to action and is able to consistently deliver high quality work within required timeframes. Goes the extra mile to ensure deliverables meet the highest standards and strives for creative perfection. Is positive, upbeat and committed to their working life and makes a positive contribution to team morale.
- Has the ability to think issues through before acting and knows when to escalate. Possesses strong listening skills and asks open-ended questions to ensure full understanding. Able to present information effectively via multiple channels and is at ease presenting ideas or solutions in team meetings or the occasional larger group setting.
What You Need:
- Proven experience working as an Art Director is required.
- Experience working in a creative/agency environment is advantageous.
- A degree in Design, Interaction Design, Visual Studies or another design-related field preferred.
- Proven creative success working in collaborative multi-functional teams.
- Strong information presentation (visual and written) skills.
- Considerable experience developing successful concepts, many of which have been adopted by clients or other team members.
- Extensive experience using the most common software: Adobe, Photoshop, Illustrator, Keynote, Sketch, After effects, Adobe In-Design, etc.
- Experience of nurturing and growing client relationships.
- Extensive experience with all the relevant software packages and hardware, and a working knowledge of emerging platforms.
Barbarian is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We strongly support diversity in the workforce.