Athena Advertising Awards
Created in 2017, as a collaboration between The 3% Movement and the Athena Film Festival, the Athena Advertising Awards recognize creative advertising that depicts strong, bold women and empowering marketing messages. This joint effort is generously underwritten by our returning sponsor, Twitter.
Each year, exceptional work in the industry is honored on stage at The 3% Conference and at the Athena Film Festival. The work — from global brands and agencies — is critiqued by esteemed judges such as Geoff Edwards, Cindy Gallop, Nancy Crimi-Lamanna, Christena Pyle, Swati Bhattacharya, Pam Fujimoto, and Liz Taylor.
“One of the primary goals of the Athena Film Festival is to challenge the way society views and values women. In many ways, those views and values are shaped by advertising.”
—Athena Film Festival co-founder Kathryn Kolbert
Athena Ad Awards Submissions
Submissions are open to brands and agencies throughout the world and feature six categories: Film, Digital/Mobile, Social Marketing, Print, Events/Experiential, and Integrated Campaigns.
The 2020 deadline will be announced after the Athena Film Festival in February. The awards presentation will be part of The 3% Conference in November and will then be replayed at the Athena Film Festival, which will takes place each February at Barnard College.
- Film: Nike – Dream Crazier (Wieden + Kennedy)
- Digital/Mobile: Lessons in Herstory (Goodby Silverstein & Partners)
- Print: The Last Ever Issue (VMLY&R Poland)
- Integrated Campaigns: HBO Inspiration Room (Wieden + Kennedy)
- Integrated Campaigns: Adidas – Here to Create Change (TBWA\Chiat\Day New York)
- Social Marketing: UPS – One Girl’s Future (T3)
- Film: Chase Bank – Mama Said Knock You Out (Droga5)
- Events/Experiential: Times of India – No Conditions (FCB India)
- Events/Experiential: JetBlue – Flybabies (MullenLowe)
- Film: Boeing – Women Make Us Better (FCB)
- Print: Equinox – Commit To Something (Wieden + Kennedy)
- Integrated Campaign: Under Armour – Unlike Any (Droga5)
- Social Marketing: Ask for a Raise by The Muse, Ladies Get Paid, PayScale, Reply.ai — Cindy Gallop Equal Pay Day chatbot (R/GA)
To submit a campaign for selection or for more information about the Athena Advertising Awards, please visit: https://athenafilmfestival.com/athena-ad-awards/
About Athena Film Festival
Founded in 2011, the Athena Film Festival at Barnard College is an annual event honoring courageous and audacious women in real life and the fictional world, screening feature films, documentaries, and shorts. The four-day festival is full of inspiring films that tell the extraordinary stories of strong, bold women leaders from all walks of life — stories of ambition, courage, resilience, and moxie and includes conversations with directors, producers and actors, as well as activities for filmmakers. The festival is a joint project of the Athena Center for Leadership Studies at Barnard College and Women and Hollywood.